At FirstBank, we recognize the importance of women in driving socio-economic growth and change; this is why we created FirstGem.
FirstGem is an account designed specifically to meet your financial need as a woman. It does not matter if you are a working professional, an entrepreneur, a business leader or a student, we have designed FirstGem to suit and empower all women, aged 18 and above to achieve their financial goals and aspirations.
FirstGem was officially launched in December 2016. It was championed by Mrs Ibukun Awosika to encourage more women to save, so that they can invest and build personal wealth for themselves. Since launch, the initiative has encouraged over 10,000 women to actively build a healthy saving culture.
Now, while the habit of saving is a really good one, it is also important as a woman to learn the habit of investing. This helps to avoid spending your savings on impulse and never getting it back.
Asides from helping you build these habits, FirstGem also grants you access to soft loans (business and personal), annual medical and health programs, and leadership trainings on women empowerment, all organized and sponsored by First Bank.
Other benefits of the product include:
- Special promotions and discounts at select merchant outlets that offer lifestyle products and services (spas, grocery stores, event centers, etc.) for account holders.
- Regular information/Insights on business opportunities/openings in various sectors and industries.
- Access to business advisory services for accessing CBN/BOI intervention funds at single digit interest rates and
- Access to the CBN N220bn MSME intervention fund at 9%, which provides for 60% of the fund to be availed to women entrepreneurs.
Opening a FirstGem Account:
Opening a FirstGem account comes in two variants: Savings and Current Account.
FirstGem Savings Account:
The savings account involves a:
- Minimum opening or operating balance of N1,000.
- Customized debit card
- Flexible means of identification, utility bill and 2 passport photographs.
The maximum amount that can be deposited in this account at a time is N100,000 and the maximum cumulative balance at any time is N500,000. In the event where the cumulative balance exceeds N500,000, you will be engaged to migrate to the generic savings account variant with full KYC requirements.
FirstGem Generic Savings Account
Opening the generic savings account involves a:
- Minimum opening balance of N2,000.
- Minimum operating balance of N1,000.
- Customized debit card
Opening the current account involves a:
- Minimum opening balance of N10,000.
- Customized debit card.
- Two (2) satisfactory references.
- Utility bill of applicant.
- Verifiable means of identification and
- Other requirements for opening an individual or corporate current account.
For this account, Account Maintenance Charge is capped at N0.90/mille per month, but access to all variants are available on the First Bank's internet banking platform - FirstOnline.
One Year Anniversary:
FirstGem has indeed empowered a lot of women since its inception in 2016. In a bid to bring more Nigerian women together and create an avenue for enlightenment and networking, FirstGem will be holding its first anniversary event on the 5th of December, 2017.
The anniversary event will be an interactive session with over 1000 women, celebrating their financial successes, progress and achievements, whilst also providing insight to future opportunities for investments and increased business development across board. The event is designed to be an empowerment and futuristic session, where women, will leave at the end of the day equipped with information to help them make better and smarter investment decisions.
The event is slated for 9:00am at the Harbour Point, 4 Wilmont road, off Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos.
Attendance is absolutely free but you would have to register first. We will leave the link to register below.
Everyone is invited, so feel free to tell as many women you know and spread the word.